Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Onomatopoea--and other bodily functions....

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
on-o-mat-o-poe-ia
- Show Spelled Pronunciation[on-uh-mat-uh-pee-uh]
–noun
1. the formation of a word, as cuckoo or boom, by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent.
2. a word so formed.
3. Rhetoric. the use of imitative and naturally suggestive words for rhetorical effect.


So...today was our first day back at "school"...formal homeschool that is. (Every day is a learning day here!) We took two scheduled weeks off for the Christmas holiday aaaaand two unscheduled days off due to Teacher sickness. Truth be told, Teacher is still somewhat sick, but at least, back on her feet.

And what a day it has been! (Not that it's over yet. It's only 2:15pm, my time.) It's just been full of the typical adventures and obstacles. I'll keep it brief: Triumph #1-Got up, nursed baby, fed self and other children. Setback #1- 6yo announced she had to pee at last minute while wearing leotard and ballet skirt. Needless to say, she missed the goal. Triumph #2- She missed in the one bathroom that has laminate wood flooring. (The other two are carpeted. I really want linoleum in those.) Setback #2- Samson (our Jack Russell Terrier) came in quite thirsty from his "backyard time" (aka-"keep dog and Baby separate time") and gulped too much water from his dish...and then promptly threw up the excess. Triumph #3- Also on the laminate wood floor. Setback #3- Spent too much time at computer thereby pushing back the start-time of all things productive. Triumph #4- Had a wonderful devotional time with children. Setback #4- Still hadn't brushed my teeth. Triumph #5- Made the quality decision to make an early lunch, feed children, put Baby down for his nap, and tackle school in the quite of the afternoon. Setback #5- hmmm...none that I can think of! And...the triumphs keep going!


We are well on our way through school. Baby is still napping. I managed a few moments away from my studious (usually) little pupils to write this post. And I feel rather confident that I have plenty of time to wrap up school, transfer a load to the dryer, clean my kitchen, play with children, babble and coo with Baby about things around us (onomatopoea), cook dinner, break up some squabbles and call my sister. And that's all before the good part...when my husband gets home! Not so bad...if I do say so myself!

...and that's just my $0.02...

Ohhh...there's the littlest one calling me now...gotta run...

Tonya

No comments: